Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Vanity update (amanda)

I have immersed myself once again into home decorating projects. My master bedroom and bath has been the most recent focus and while I don't have too many before and afters to share, mostly because I am still mid-project I wanted to show off my vanity.

I have disliked this pink vanity since we moved in. The color of it matched the original carpet that went before we moved in. I wasn't sure that replacing it was going to be an option given that it goes wall to wall in a very tight space and the plastic laminate was still fine- this stuff wears like iron. So after consulting several decorating sights and a couple of books I discovered that it is possible to paint it. So thanks to " Debbie Travis's Painted House" we gave it a go. Basically the technique was sanding followed by two coats of heavy duty high adhesive primer than a little faux finish I did myself with a sea sponge and three different colors of satin latex paint. This is topped off by three coats of polyacrylic varnish to make it waterproof and more durable. I am very happy with the result, but now I have to change out my pink floor. I also painted the vanity white and changed the hardware. The projects never end. I will probably have the house just like I want it just in time to move. But, I am learning a ton. On to the next challenge!

No comments: