Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Not so crazy about my carseat

Well before the arrival of baby #2 (back in April)-I wanted one final project to keep me busy before the baby so I decided to recover my carseat. Since I will be hauling it everywhere I go for the next year I wanted to like it. I've never been a big fan of what we got- so I thought at least I could enjoy the way it looks! I can't believe I actually pulled this one off though. It took a lot more brain power than I anticipated and I learned a ton. Thanks again to my good friend (josey) for helping me think through some things and inspiring a lot of ideas. I took the existing carseat cover and just made a pattern from that- after a lot of trial and error and a few mistakes it's done!

Before...
And here's the after...

The color on this first picture is really weird---it looks more like the bottom pic. Anyway---kinda bold. I made a little diaper/wipe holder out of this fabric and just couldn't find anything else that I liked as much so I used it for this too. Anyway... it was fun to do but I'm also happy it's done!

As far as a tutorial, yeah not a chance on this one- sorry! It was a lot of trial and error and making a mock-up with ugly fabric before hand. My best advice if you really want to do this is to buy a pattern or just take off your existing cover and try to think through how all the pieces come together.

2 comments:

The DIY Show Off said...

Great job! I want to make one for my sister and I'm the same way...trial and error when it comes to sewing. I really, really want to try it though!

Thanks for the motivations

Jackie said...

Great sewing ideas and I love your home. I have a little matchbox, too and like you, I love it! Great job